As part of a global bank’s enterprisewide transformation initiative, its legal department planned an ambitious programme to simultaneously reduce data privacy and security risks, enhance its responsivity to legal and regulatory bodies, in addition to streamlining its operations through modernisation and the use of advanced technologies. To achieve these objectives, the organisation selected FTI Technology to deliver a unifying global platform and on-the-ground support in key geographies, along with business transformation experience to drive the initiative and deliver meaningful results.
With government oversight and enforcement ramping worldwide, the client was under ongoing pressure to manage and mitigate data and regulatory risk. Moreover, disparate and disconnected teams, technologies and processes and the historical reliance of a “panel” of service providers amplified the need for significant legal department transformation. As part of this effort, the client was adopting a centralised model to boost efficiency, reduce costs and improve legal outcomes. The initiative required specialised attention to data risk, protection and sovereignty obligations across a global organisation working under dozens of multijurisdictional laws.
The client selected FTI Technology’s team for its deep technology expertise and holistic approach to legal operations and law department transformation, combined with its global reach. By overhauling the legal department’s operating model and driving a shift from being reliant on service providers to becoming more selfsufficient, FTI Technology is helping the client establish more control, whilst significantly reducing cost and risk.
The ongoing initiative includes six pillars to orchestrate significant operational change within the client’s legal department and with numerous stakeholders in other functions. Key solutions include:
- Globally deployed self-service e-discovery platform containing a suite of e-discovery tools accessed via a single secure portal.
- Consistent methodologies across the legal operations footprint in all geographies driven by a global playbook, standardised templates and comprehensive training programmes.
- Support with boots on-the-ground in all key geographies for data collections, e-discovery operations, expert and advisory support that is accessible with minimal touch via client-facing portals.
- Holistic view across all matters, globally driven by a real-time, on-demand reporting application.
- Integrated and connected platforms to streamline the extraction, processing, review and disclosure of data underpinning legal matters.
- Future-proofed processes for emerging data sources, with an intuitive display and review functionality for formats such as chat, audio and video.
As an ongoing effort in support of the client’s broader transformation initiative, this engagement will deliver numerous short-term and long-term benefits to the legal department and the organisation overall. Key improvements that will reduce risks and costs include:
Improved responsivity and speed-to-insight for new matters given the “always-on” nature of the service, as well as empowered collaboration between teams working on a common platform with a single source.
Standardised approach to dealing with matters globally and reduction of third-party service providers, leading to improved control and visibility into data as well as reduced costs.
Proactive identification of patterns and trends across matters driven by powerful analytics.